It's been a hectic 2 weeks (though I did have a nice time away last weekend :D). A fair bit to report too, some good, some not so good, but let's get started anyway!
Firstly (and unfortunately...) on return to the studio at the beginning of this week, I noticed a wet patch on the carpet and nearby wooden furniture, and after moving a lot of stuff around to investigate, it appears that the radiator had been leaking. "No worries", I thought and fixed it in my usual fashion, did some tests and thought that was the end of it, but after lifting up the carpet to see if there was any unseen damage, it was discovered that the floorboards beneath had started to collapse and there was a pretty grim mold problem too... Long story short, I've got to get this problem fixed properly and soon, and since the carpet is up and the furniture's been moved around significantly, my room acoustic are temporarily out of whack too. What will this mean for audio work?
Well firstly, since the room acoustics are messed up, I'm unable to finalize any Mixes or Masters or acoustically record until the problem is fixed and everything is back in order. This obviously means I won't be able to take any commissions involving those sorts of jobs for a little while, but I'm still taking audio fixing / clean-up jobs in the mean time (since I usually do that stuff with headphones anyway). It also means I won't be able to finish any more tracks for the new Better Than The Book Album until this is all sorted which means further delays to the album, making it unlikely that it'll be released before the end of the year. I'm still working towards that goal though! The aim is to have a proper crack at fixing the floor this weekend and assessing whether there's any further damage underneath the floorboards. If there isn't then it could be a fairly simple fix and I'll be back to normal in no time, but if there is, then be prepared for further delays... I shall keep you all updated.
On the bright side, no equipment was damaged (apart from the room itself) and it shouldn't (hopefully) be too expensive to fix. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!
Finally and in other news, progress on the album continues, though slower than usual due to the circumstances. The extended intro for track 4 is finished apart from final mix checks (which will take place once the room's all fixed up). It was both fun and frustrating trying to find public domain material for this track, though I cannot tell you how immensely satisfying it is to sample other people's work and know you're doing it completely legally :D. Hope you enjoy it! Progress is going ok on the final song featuring Cyberdevil. I've still got a lot of stuff to record for this though (including more backing vocals + guitars) so I won't be able to even get a finished arrangement until the room is fixed. Doing my best in the mean time to record everything that doesn't require the acoustic space (synths and electronicy/samply things). I think this is going to be the hardest track to finish, but I won't let that stop me!
That's about it for this week. Hopefully things'll be back to normal very soon, though only time will tell. Many thanks for your patience and support and hope you all have good weeks. Until next time, take care!
Leave a Reply.
Nick Standing; HurpADervish; Jabun!
Keep up to date with all of Nick's projects on a monthly basis right here!